Saturday, June 30, 2012

A TIME TO CELEBRATE AND BE THANKFUL!

My Mom's 84th Birthday was yesterday!  

Unfortunately, we didn't get to do much celebrating because she was in the hospital.  But today, she was in her own little home and feeling better.  I would've loved to have cooked her favorite meal but after spending 3 days in the hospital with her, I wasn't up to it so we picked up Carrabba's Italian food...yummm!  My sister-in-law made her the A-m-a-z-i-n-g Jiffy Chocolate Cake.  This is the same cake in an earlier post that I declared the ugliest cake I had ever made.  This time around....it was perfect...thanks to Judy!

My Mom and my sister-in-law Judy


My Mom, Dorothy, has the purest, kindest heart of anyone I have ever known.  She loves God, her family, her little dog Rusty, and her sweet friends.  She can still tell jokes (I never could)!  She can speak pig-latin with record speed and has a regular group of girls that she play cards with on Friday nights....when she is up to it.   She loves to bake peach cobbler and share her recipe with everyone (and I mean everyone!!!)  She remembers stories about my children that I cannot even remember and stories about me when I was a child.  But the thing I love most about my Mom would be the way she has always made me feel so very loved.  She has told me all my life, and more times than I can count, that she waited and prayed 15 years for a child (I am an only child) and that she was glad she was not able to have children naturally (I am adopted) because she would have missed out on having me for her daughter.  She told me this just a couple of weeks ago and even though I am 49 years old,  that still makes me feel special every time I hear her say it.  

I love her so much and I am so thankful that God chose her to be my mother.  Doesn't He always know how to give the very best gifts?  


HAPPY 84TH BIRTHDAY MOM!

I LOVE YOU!!!
        

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Dorothy! How many years is it we've known each other? I remember when my parents went with you and Johnny to get Janna! Special times we've spent together thru the years. Love you bunches! Hope you are feeling better soon. I think you & Johnny and Janna all three hit the lottery when God placed all of you together. Hope to see you soon. Love you....Sherry

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

@Sherry...I will tell her you said Happy Birthday. When we were in the hospital she would say "Look at you hair". She even told a couple of the nurses the story behind that saying. Thanks for your sweet words. We love you too!!

Jeanne said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet mother! What a sweet tribute to her.
I've enjoyed reading your blog and already copied some recipes. Can't wait to try them!
I started my little blog a few years back so the kids can keep up with what's going on here. I don't write much but I enjoy reading blogs from all over the country!
Jeanne

Unknown said...

I think of "Look at you hair" quite often in the mornings when I'm getting ready for work.