Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Best Blueberry Scones I've Ever Had!



Last week, I picked up blueberries from a local blueberry farm.  They were the best blueberries I have ever eaten.  My daughter, Holly, and I always wanted to like blueberries because we knew they were healthy for us but when we would buy them at the grocery store they were usually sour...not sweet at all.  Then we tried  these blueberries!  They were AWESOME (in a singing voice)!  They were so sweet and I found myself eating them by the handfuls.  Because my mother was put in the hospital last week, I didn't get to eat them like I would have and I was worried they were going to ruin so I was trying to think of something I could cook with them.

For some reason I thought of blueberry scones.  I absolutely love them but I have never attempted to make them.  I always thought they would be hard to make so I would just buy one every once and a while at Starbucks.  For those of you who do not know (like my son-in-law Daniel), scones are a cross between a biscuit and cake and they are carbs to the nth degree!

Perfect!!  I started looking for a good recipe.  I found one on allrecipes.com that sounded really good, read the reviews and decided to give it a whirl!

Seriously, these were sooo easy to make!  I actually made two different batches because they are fast and easy!  They turned out wonderful!  Daniel, who I mentioned earlier, is really hesitant (to put it mildly) about trying new things.....but he gave in and tried one (we're food-pushers at our house)!  He ate that one and then he brought another one home with whipped cream on top of it!

There are a couple of things that are important to know when making scones.
     1.  Have your oven hot (400 degrees)
     2.  Do not mix your dough too much.  If you work the dough too much, it will make yucky scones!


I plan on making some different scones now that I have a good recipe.  I would like to try a savory scone with garlic, cheese and herbs before long.  Maybe even one with chocolate chips or a lemon-blueberry one! Yummm!!






Best Scones Ever

1-3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar (I used 1/3 cup)
4 teaspoons baking powder
5 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup blueberries (recipe called for currants)
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

Sift flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl.   Cut in butter using a pastry blender or rub between your fingers until it is pea-size lumps. (I froze my butter and then grated it into the dry ingredients and used my hands to blend with dry ingredients until it was crumbly).

Mix the milk and sour cream together and pour all at once into the crumbly mixture.  Stir gently until well blended.  Do not overmix or it will result in terrible scones.  Gently add the blueberries.

With floured hands, pat dough into balls about 3 inches wide.  Place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten lightly.  Let sides barely touch.  Whisk egg and milk together and brush on top of each scone.  Sprinkle with coarse sugar.  Let them rest for about 10 minutes.  I put mine in the freezer.  I read somewhere that you want the butter to be hard when you put them in the oven.





Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops are golden brown (not deep brown. 
Slice them in half and serve with butter or whipped cream and selection of jams or just eat them plain!! 





ENJOY!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

These look yummy also. I didn't realize you were related to Julia Childs and Martha Stewart! Who knows...you might end up with an eatery in the Hardware store!

Vickie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vickie Tingen Sauerwein said...

Janna: What blueberry farm did you go to?