Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer Corn Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette


If you are looking for a light, refreshing salad...then try this one.  It is healthy and super easy to assemble.  I got the recipe out of the Nordstrom Friends and Family Cookbook but I did change it up a bit so I am going to type it up the way I made it.
I served this the other night with grilled chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and warm french bread with butter.  My family gave it two thumbs up and I did too!  I made a double batch of the Champagne Vinaigrette because I wanted to use it for salads later.  The recipe says that you can store it in a bottle with a tight fitting lid for up to a month so I put it in a mason jar for later.

This would be a great salad to add grilled shrimp or grilled salmon on top and call it a meal.



Champagne Vinaigrette

1 shallot, quartered and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
3 cloves, garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dijon mustard, (heaping)
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar (you can add more if you want)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt (I always taste and add more if I think it needs it)
1/2 cup Champagne vinegar
1-1/2 cup canola oil (or you could use light tasting olive oil)
dash of freshly ground pepper

In a blender or in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the shallot and garlic with about a tablespoon of vinegar until minced.  Add the rest of the vinegar, mustard, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.  Process to combine the ingredients thoroughly. 

With the machine running, gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream to form an emulsion.  Taste and adjust the ingredients.

Store in a glass container with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to a month.





Summer Corn Salad

3 ears of fresh corn, shucked and grilled 
(I just rub olive oil on the corn, salt and pepper it and put it right on the grill)
1 container of cherry tomatoes, halved
or
6 Roma tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks (I didn't core mine, it's your preference)
1 shallot, minced
2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
1 regular bag of baby spinach, (I did a rough chop so they were easier to eat)

Cut corn kernels from the cobs into a large bowl.  Should have approximately 2 cups.

Add tomatoes, shallot, tarragon, spinach, and 1/2 cups of the Champagne Vinaigrette.  Toss to combine.  Season with salt and pepper (I always let each person do this to their liking)
Let the salad sit at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving.  (I refrigerate mine because I like my salad cold)

NOTE:  The original recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups of arugula instead of spinach and 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley.  I used a blend of arugula and spinach, along with the flat leaf parsley this time.   Next time, I will use just spinach because my family prefers it.  As for the tarragon, I haven't used it because I couldn't find it when I wanted to make this salad....so maybe next time!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds wonderful...I love salads!