Sunday, September 9, 2012

NAVAJO CORNBREAD



 This post should be called the "Confessions of a Carb Girl"!  

I think I could live happily ever after if carbs simply had no effect on my waist, rear end, or general health!  I absolutely love them.  So, when I made this cornbread for supper the other night, I knew I was going to be in trouble.  I literally could devour this entire recipe by myself...that's how much I love it.  For that reason alone, I do not make this recipe very often.  I ate wayyyy too much!  Oh my goodness, when it comes out of the oven is the best time to eat it, in my opinion.  It is so cheesy and flavored just right with green onions and peppers.  The jalapenos add just a little kick (I would even add more if my family would let me).  

I have added a pound of seasoned, cooked ground sirloin into the recipe and it becomes a one dish meal.  You could even serve it up with guacamole or a green salad.  I actually served this with my Chicken Tortilla soup recipe and homemade guacamole.  This recipe makes a 13 x 9 pan of cornbread.  

I have given this recipe out so many times and it is one of my families favorites.  It is a perfect recipe for an upcoming cool day.  Give it a whirl...I bet it won't be your last!




NAVAJO CORNBREAD

1 cup of cream style corn
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup of jalapenos diced very fine
1 tablespoon salt (some people feel like this is too much - cut to 1/2 tbsp. if you like)
1 cup grated colby jack cheese
1 cup green onions, chopped

In a large bowl, combine corn, eggs, sour cream, milk and canola oil.



Next add baking powder.  I sprinkle each teaspoon over the top of the cornbread mixture and then whisk to make sure it is well combined.


Next add the green onions and jalapeno peppers.


Add the cheese and salt.



Now, pour in the corn meal and stir to combine.



Spray a 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray to keep from sticking.


Pour in the cornbread mixture.


Pop in the oven for approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees or until firm and golden brown.


Voila, you have "carb heaven"! 

Just thought I would "doctor" this photo to show you how I truly feel about this recipe...ha!

CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE RECIPE

enjoy!

20 comments:

Jenn @ Bliss to Bean said...

I wish I could taste this right now!! New follower! Keep up the great recipes!!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Jennifer....thank you sooo much!!

Anonymous said...

I like my corn bread a little sweeter. What do you think about adding about 1/4 cup?

Many thanks,
pam

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Hmmmmm...I'm not real sure. I'm a big recipe changer and tweaker so I say why not. I personally like my cornbread a little sweeter too but this recipe is so good just the way it is : )

Anonymous said...

The recipe sounds great, but isn't a tablespoon of salt an awful lot of salt?

Robbi said...

I believe it should be 1 TEASPOON of salt rather than 1 Tablespoon. My daughter made this the other night, and she didn't catch the typo. I did with the first bite. We will try again with the smaller salt addition.

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

The tablespoon of salt is not a typo even though it may seen like it is. I have made this many, many times with the tablespoon of salt with no complaints. However, it is always easier to add salt than to remove salt. So, if you feel like it is more salt than you and your family would like...cut it in half. You can always add more next time if you think it needs it.

LaRita Lively said...

Love this recipe!!! Delicious, moist, and so easy to make. Thank you for sharing!!!

SueLynn said...

I made this today and I halfed it. It was great. I added the cheeses that I had and it was still good. I cooked it in an 8x8 dish and it was perfect. Thanks fo sharing! SueLynn

Unknown said...

Yummy! Great recipe. Super moist!

Bryon Rickard said...

Great Recipe. I thought you were kidding when you said it was so addictive. we killed over half during and after dinner!! Thanks.

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Bryon, I start finding a reason to eat it straight out of the oven...I need to make sure it is done, I cut it and eat the pieces that don't measure up, and nobody likes the corners. So, I'm doing them a favor by eating them...right?! LoL!!!

Unknown said...

Yum, giving this a try for ladies pot luck at church. Theme Mexican food....sounds like this will be a hit. Thanks!!

Rockelle said...

Too bad you don't provide a simple way to print.

Anonymous said...

Looks great - do you think these could be made into muffins?

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

There have been some comments that say that it was too salty. I have added a side note to the salt that says to half the salt if they like. I know how aggravating it is to take the time and spend the money on ingredients only to realize that it didn't work for my family. Hope this helps people in the future!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

I have added the option to print this recipe at the very end. I hope that helps. It was pointed out to me that this recipe has been "pinned" over 11,000 times, so I figured I better do some updating!

Unknown said...

Hey there Carb girl lol! I'm making this Navajo Cornbread right now. Your's looks sooooo delicious I just had to give it a try,I didn't have any canola or green onions so I went with everything else just emphasized hey we (girls )just make it happen thanks for the recipe! I will let you know how it turned out! Continual Blessings...

Fiesty pepper said...

The moist cake-like batter I absolutely love this recipe, Thank You so much for sharing. At Thanksgiving this definitely will be on our table!!!!

Shannan said...

Cooking in the oven right now. Smells wonderful! I'm going to enjoy this with Turnip Green Soup! Thanks for the recipe. ♡