Sunday, September 2, 2012

TEXAS TRASH



In honor of all those kiddos going back to school, I have a recipe for the ultimate treat that parents and kids can both agree on....and snack on!

I don't think I have met anyone who doesn't like Chex Mix.  But have you ever tried the "souped up" version called "Texas Trash"?  Well....oh my...you are in for a treat!

I don't know a one of my friends who does not have their own perfect recipe for Texas Trash. They are all similar but with their own twist. Now for my friends who do not live in Texas, it is basically all kinds of yummy stuff poured over all kinds of yummy stuff and then baked...lol!!  There is a saying in the South that goes something like this...."the only thing stronger than a mother's love is her garlic breath".  Well, this trash recipe will most definitely put that little saying to the test.  Might want to keep some strong gum or mints close by while eating! Ha!  But, trust me, it is worth it!



I set out a few years ago to find a recipe for Texas Trash that I really liked and could make myself.  I had tried several and then I made this one that I am blogging today.  I don't even remember where I got it from but after I made it I quit looking.  It was the one!  It makes a ton so this is definitely something you could share with a friend(s)! I used to make this for Christopher and Holly when they were in college.  I would make a big batch up just in time for finals.  It was a perfect little snack to keep them going during all those long hours of studying!
It is a great homemade treat to bring to get-togethers or package up and give as a little gift.

Lola liked all but the pretzels!


I know it calls for quite a few ingredients, but I can guarantee it will be worth buying and trying.  You will be a  considered a kitchen goddess when your family, friends or significant other takes a bite of some of Texas' best Trash!!  Ha!!  Let's get busyyyyyy!!


TEXAS TRASH
1/2 (14 ounce) box of Rice Chex cereal
1/2 (14 ounce) box of Corn chex cereal (you could use wheat in place of either of these)
1/2 (1 pound) bag of pretzel sticks
1 (7.5 ounce) bag of Bugles (regular)
1 regular can (8.75 ounce) of deluxe mixed nuts
1 cup of pecans or cashews (or nut of your choice)
1-1/2 sticks butter
1 tablespoon Steak Seasoning
1 tablespoons worcestershire sauce 
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon -1 tablespoon Hot Sauce (amount depends on your taste)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a large roaster pan (I used a disposable aluminum 16-5/8x 11-7/8 x 2-5/8) combine the first 6 ingredients.

Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat


Add remaining ingredients


Stir all ingredients together and remove from heat


Spoon the butter mixture over the dry ingredients


Stir until every piece is covered with the butter mixture


I like to sprinkle with more garlic powder and hot sauce at this point.  It is entirely up to you whether you do this step or not.


Now this is the part you have to do precisely.  
Place pan in oven and 
Bake for 1 hour 
STIRRING EVERY 15 MINUTES.



Scoop some out and eat it right up!








12 comments:

Unknown said...

My mouth waters every time I read your food post. I haven't had this in a long time. Think this is what I will make for the 4 guys in my department for Christmas so I will need a "manly" packaging idea. Thanks!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Perfect! I will make sure to blog a "manly" idea...haha!! Thanks for all your sweet comments...you always make my day!!

Anonymous said...

Can you make this in the crockpot?

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

I don't think that this would be a good crock pot recipe because if the liquid is left on the dry ingredients for too long, they become soggy. You really need to get this into the oven as soon as possible, and remember to stir every 15 minutes. The stirring helps to continue to distribute the heat to dry the sauce onto the dry ingredients instead of soaking in.

Anonymous said...

Have a ? Do you mean A-1 for steak seasoning or dry like McCormicks steak seasoning???

Anonymous said...

what kind or brand of steak seasoning do you use? This sounds great and would like to make it for a halloween party!!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Use a dry steak seasoning like McCormicks!

Anonymous said...

In one of the photos you are sprinkling garlic powder on the mixture but in the directions it us added in with the butter. Which is correct?

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

I need to clarify the use of Garlic Powder in this recipe. I use it both in the butter and then I also sprinkle more garlic powder over the trash before it goes in the oven. You can skip this step if you like. I love the garlic flavor in my Texas Trash so that's why I sprinkle more on it.

MrsDeleon said...

Is this calling for one and a half sticks of butter? Or just a half stick of butter? I'm wanting to make this for a christmas party.

MrsDeleon said...

How much butter 1 and a half sticks or just a half????

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

The amount of butter is one and one-half sticks.