Sunday, August 19, 2012

LEMON BLOSSOMS


 I do not remember when or where I got this recipe for Lemon Blossoms.  But I do remember the first time I made these yummy bites because my son-in-law fell in love that day with a little lemon cake with lemon icing! Ha!  I made these today for his birthday and my husband's birthday which are 2 days apart.  I didn't take a picture of Daniel (son-in-law) but I did get a cute picture of my little great-niece Piper.  She just had her 2nd birthday party yesterday.  She is at that age where she is starting to pick up words here and there and her words of the moment are "cake".......and "thanks"!  I made her cake pops for her birthday yesterday and she ate 3 before the party started.  So, when she saw these little blossoms, we heard "cake" until she successfully had one in her precious little hand!   She was on a mission to get one...two...I'm not even sure how many she ended up with but just look at her little face below.  How can you say no to such a cutie patootie?


What I love, first of all, about this dessert is the fresh lemon that is used in the icing.  It really gives the cake a balanced, bold flavor.  And, they are absolutely fool-proof.  I have made them so many times and they come out perfectly every time.  They look like little individual iced bundt  cakes...so adorable!

Oh, and this is a Paula Deen recipe.....so you know it is going to be good even if it did leave out the butter!!


1- box of yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) box of instant lemon flavored pudding mix
4 large eggs
3/4 cup canola oil
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray miniature muffin pans with Baker's Joy or any other non stick cooking spray with flour.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix.


Add the oil to the center of the dry mix


Add eggs


Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes (I find it too thick for medium speed and mix it on high)



Scoop a heaping teaspoon  into  greased miniature muffin pans.

This recipe makes approximately 48 lemon blossoms.

Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees!


While blossoms are baking, make the icing

Wash lemons thoroughly.  I use baking soda and a soft, scrubber to clean the outside of the lemons since I will be zesting them.  


 Squeeze lemons to get 1/3 cup of lemon juice





Zest the lemons


Sift the powdered sugar


In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice, water, and add the zest. (I forgot to take a picture of this step...long day)

Anyway....take the little cake muffins out of the oven


Turn the cakes out onto a clean, cloth towel.

While cakes are still warm, dip into glaze.





Place glazed cakes on wire racks with wax paper underneath to catch drips (I just kept the cloth towel under the rack)


Let glaze set thoroughly before serving.  Store in an airtight container.

ENJOY!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lemon cake is my favorite. I will definitely give this a try. My mouth is watering at 7:45 am!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Sherry...believe me I know! I just walked past them and told myself it is too early to start eating them! We'll see how long they last! Ha!