Wednesday, August 22, 2012

OLD-FASHIONED SOUTHERN POTATO SALAD




 Okay, I admit it, I am a potato salad snob!  

Potato Salad is one of my favorite dishes so I am picky about it!  I love a mixture of chunky potatoes and mushy potatoes, creaminess and crunch of fresh veggies, and a little bit of sweet and salty.  So, when I take a bite of potato salad that is nothing but too-perfect, little, hard chunks, or when there is not a veggie in sight, or when it tastes like someone dumped a pound of sugar in it, I am soooo disappointed.  Probably it is for the best though, because I can eat my weight in a good potato salad (and that is a lot of potato salad)!

I have experimented and made lots of potato salads over the years but I couldn't find "the one".   And then, a few years ago, I went to Dot Concienne's house to play bunco.  I have been playing bunco with her for probably 16 or 17 years now but I have know her for more than 30 years. She is one of the most godly, lovely, kind, funny women that I know. Anyway, she made and served the most awesome potato salad that night!  When I asked her for her recipe, she replied, like a lot of really good cooks, that she didn't have a recipe.  But she told me all the ingredients and I started concocting!  It took a while but I finally got the end result I had been searching for.  

Here are a few tips that I think help to make a good potato salad:


     1.  Chop your vegetables really small.
     2.  Combine the mayonnaise and the mustard before adding to the potatoes
     3.  Cut potatoes a little larger because when you add them to the mixture they will break apart
           into smaller chunks and create some mushiness
     4.  Do not cook the potatoes until they are crumbly.  Remember that when you pour the water
          off they will still continue to cook
     5.  Use a steak seasoning.  I use Tex-Joy but I think that is sold only in my area of Texas.


OLD-FASHIONED POTATO SALAD
5 Russet Potatoes, diced
4 eggs, boiled and diced
7 green onions, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/2 medium-large bell pepper, finely chopped
1 heaping tablespoon heaping sweet relish
2 heaping tablespoons dill relish
1/2 jar diced pimentos (4 oz)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard
2 teaspoons Steak Seasoning, (I use Tex-Joy)
salt and pepper to taste


Boil diced potatoes in water with a fair amount of salt


and drain


Add diced eggs

Here is a look at the rest of the ingredients


Combine mayonnaise and mustard and add to potatoes

Add diced veggies


Stir to combine


Add the relishes and the pimento


Add the seasoning, stir and adjust to your taste.


ENJOY!











3 comments:

Haley Chance said...

This looks so yummy! I think I'm a PS snob, too. I'm even worse because I like to eat it warm. :) I know that's kind of silly. But I love how your recipe is full of veggies!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Haley, I like my potato salad either warm or room temp too! Really cold potato salad is my least favorite (although this potato salad is good chilled). I even have a hot potato salad recipe that my kids have always loved.

Anonymous said...

Excellent!!! I love your recipes! Thank you for sharing!
Evie