Friday, July 13, 2012

Get Healthy...Get Juicing!!


Okay, so I know that incorporating fruits and vegetables in the diet are one of  the keys to a healthy lifestyle but making myself juice on a regular basis is a battle.  I'm a lazy juicer!  But I don't want to be, so I am hoping that by writing about it on my blog it will motivate me to be a twice-a-weeker!!


My goal is to stay away from a daily handful of pills and regular doctor visits as long as possible and I want my family to enjoy the benefits of juicing!  




Look at how dry the pulp is in the left chute






I did some investigating online into what kind of juicer to purchase and I decided to get an Omega VRT 350 juicer.  I had another brand for a while but I felt like I was not getting the maximum amount of juice out of it. 


With the Omega VRT 350, the extracted pulp is basically devoid of liquid which means you get more juice using less vegetables.  Another reason I bought this juicer was for the warranty.  It has a 10-year full warranty and it is made in the USA.  


It is easy to use and it is easy to clean up.  I don't put any of the parts in the dishwasher...I wash it by hand but it is worth it (and for me to say that is huge)!




I am telling you the juice that comes out of this juicer is like nothing you will buy in a grocery store.  
It tastes amazing and fresh.  


My husband absolutely loves it when I juice oranges and I am not an orange juice drinker but....I love a big glass of freshly juiced oranges.  


And pineapple juice....oh my gosh....it tastes nothing like pineapple juice out of a can.  It actually tastes like a tropical drink.  

Not too long ago, I juiced a combination of carrots, apples, and ginger.  I'm not going to lie,  it wasn't my favorite....but knowing how good it is for me helped.



 If you are still not convinced....


Below is a list of some of the health benefits of carrots (taken from livestrong.com)

 1.  It is a fat-burning food
 2.  Lowers blood cholesterol levels
 3.  Keeps vision healthy 
 4.  Protects the immune system
 5.  Potassium content in carrots regulates blood pressure levels
 6.  Contains Falcarinol which has been linked to the reduction of tumor formation
 7.  Helps maintain healthy urinary and digestive tracts
 8.  Cleanses liver by ridding of bile and fat
 9.  Nourishes hair, nails, and skin
10. Loaded with vitamins and minerals
(If you have blood sugar issues, you should limit carrot juice to 4 ounces daily.)

These benefits are highest when carrots are either eaten raw or freshly juiced!


When I bought my juicer, I also bought the book below (I ordered it off of amazon.com).  It has recipes for energy, health, weight-loss and for things such as hair loss, upset stomach, blemishes, indigestion and more.  It is a great resource to have along with the juicer!  

 

This has got me thinking that I will take a drive to the Farmer's Market in the morning and see what veggies I can find to juice!

If you have a favorite juice recipe...please share!!  It would make my day to hear from y'all!

Happy Juicing!
(haha!  I know...so goofy)





  


4 comments:

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I have been wanting a juicer for a while now, but haven't gotten it yet... mostly due to space in our tiny apartment... It looks so great though. Maybe I'll get one soon!

laurie said...

Sounds interesting...and very healthy!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Thanks girls! I'm trying a recipe in the morning that sounds good...we will see!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to “return the favor”.
I am attempting to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use
some of your ideas!!

Here is my page: omega juicer