Thursday, October 11, 2012

FALL-APART, PRESSURE COOKER, POT ROAST



 When I was growing up, one of my very favorite meals was Roast, Rice and Gravy!  It still is!!  My mom and grandmother's roasts were just mouth-watering!  Most people cook their roast in the oven but they cooked theirs in a pressure cooker.  Once the roast is browned really well, I put it in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes and it literally falls apart.  We didn't even need knives last night!

A lot of people are nervous about using a pressure cooker.  I still use the one my mom gave me so it is older but there are new and improved pressure cookers on the market now.   I use my pressure cooker to cook potatoes for mashed potatoes, roasts, beans, chicken and anything I want to cook fast!  Potatoes cook in about 5-10 minutes.  I can't remember, with accuracy, how long beans and chicken take but I cooked 6 pounds of roast last night in 45 minutes...awesome (in a singing opera voice)!  My friend, Deena Wilson, wrote me on my Facebook page and said she uses her pressure cooker to cook peas.  In Trisha Yearwood's cookbook, "Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen", she writes, "..I would encourage everyone who doesn't have a pressure cooker to get one.  They are safe and they save a ton of time in the kitchen."  So, when you get a chance, invest in a pressure cooker, I think you will be glad you did.  

If you do not have or do not want to use a pressure cooker....
I would place the browned roast in a roasting pan.  Pour water into the pan.  Although, there is not an exact amount of water to use here, I would add enough to come up on the roast about 1/3 of the way.  This water will turn into broth that you will use to make your gravy in the end.  I would first add water to the pan you browned the roast in and use a spoon to lift the bits from the bottom of the pan and then pour this over the roast in the pan.  Then if you feel like you need more water, add it.  I would bake the roast, covered,  in a 350 degree oven for at least 3 hours.  Try not to peek...you want the steam to stay in and make the roast tender and moist!  

Oh...one funny note...I was in a hurry last night, (what else is new), so I was literally chopping carrots and throwing them in the oven.  Didn't look at them again until it was time to take them out of the oven and serve them.  My son-in-law, Daniel, called them "Pepper Sticks"!  I had doused them with sooo much pepper that that is exactly what they looked like...haha!  Wish I would have taken a picture!!

Here we go.....







FALL-APART, PRESSURE COOKER, POT ROAST

 2 - 3 lb. Chuck Roasts
Fresh Garlic cloves
Garlic Salt
Garlic Powder
Pepper
Canola Oil (or your oil of preference to brown roast)


Make slits in the roast with a sharp knife



 Sprinkle roast with pepper.  I like the taste of pepper on my roast and remember some will stay on the roast and some will cook off and into the drippings.  



Next, sprinkle liberally with garlic salt and garlic powder.  Again, let me remind you that not all of the the seasonings will stay on the roast but will fall off during the cooking process.  I completely cover the roast with both!





 Rub the spices into the roast

I had two chuck roasts so I browned one in a cast iron skillet and the other one in the pressure cooker.  Put enough oil to cover the cooking surface.  You want the oil very hot so that it will sear the roast immediately.

Now, the darker the roast is cooked the richer your gravy will be.  I like mine almost burnt.  You have to watch it very closely. If it is a little burnt...no biggie...you just don't want it completely black..ha!  Turn the roast and cook it the same on the other side!
Sorry it's blurry...didn't know until I uploaded it!

 Remove the roast from the the pan/pot and pour off the grease


Place both roasts into the pressure cooker and add water.  Cover with the lid and cook for 45 minutes.  (Please remember to follow directions for the pressure cooker)  If you are cooking the roast in a roasting pan, then place the roasts in the pan, add water to the pot/pan that you cooked the roast in and cook on low heat.  Use a spoon to lift the cooked bits from the bottom of the pan.  Those drippings will add all the rich flavor you want for the gravy.  Pour that over the roasts in the pan, cover with foil/lid, and bake for at least 3 hours at 350 degrees.  Resist the urge to peek. 


After 45 minutes, turn off the heat from the pressure cooker, and allow to rest, still covered, until safe to remove the lid.

This roast will literally fall apart.  

Now to make gravy.  Put about 1/2 cup flour in a jar or cup and add enough water to make the consistency of thick gravy.  If you cooked your roast in a roasting pan, pour that into a medium to large sauce pot, place on stove over medium heat.  Pour the flour mixture in slowly, whisking to avoid lumps.  You may have to make and add more if you have a lot of juice.  Continue cooking until you have the consistency that you desire for your gravy.  To speed up the process, sometimes I will take about 1/4 cup of cornstarch, put it in a cup and add enough water to make a gravy like consistency and add that at the end. It will instantly thicken to 
a gravy consistency.  

Here is the final product!

You can see a little clove of garlic peeking out on the bottom right hand corner of this picture!
ENJOY!


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. Making it again right now. This is great and no fail. Thank you so much for this awesome recipe!!!!!!

Kate said...

Do you use a quick release method for this pot roast or the natural release method from the pressure cooker?

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

So glad you have made the roast a favorite at your home! Have you checked out my mashed potato recipe....it would go perfectly with that roast! Yummm!!

Anonymous said...

Started this about 2 hours ago... with rice and green beans. It was wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing the expertise.

SadieW said...

May I share this on pinterest?

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

@SadieW....I would love for you to share it on Pinterest!! Thanks for visiting my blog and for the feedback...it really makes my day!

Anonymous said...

I just made this today for the first time for dinner. I took a taste and I believe this is the best pot roast I ever made. The family will really enjoy this meal. I also pressure cooked carrots and potatoes separately. I will serve this with a loaf of French bread to soak up the great gravy this recipe makes. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
Dolores

Anonymous said...

How much water do you add to the pressure cooker?

Anonymous said...

How long do you think for around 2.5 pounds in an electric pressure cooker?

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

I don't think there is a specific amount of water that you add to the pressure cooker. You just don't want all your liquid to dissipate before the roast is done. I would say read your pressure cooker's instructions for more specifications. My pressure cooker is an old, old, old one from my mother so I don't have any instructions...ugh!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

I do not have an electric pressure cooker, mine is a stove top ancient variety! I would check the instructions that came with your pressure cooker. I did cheat and google it....someone said 30 minutes for a 3 lb. roast. I would probably start with 30 minutes and if it needs more time you can always cook it a little more. Let me know what you find out, I am curious myself.

Rena Taber said...

My husband bought me a bit pressure cooker/canner and I have never used it as a pressure cooker but now finding these recipes I can't wait to try! Thanks so much for sharing such detailed instructions!

Anonymous said...

can you please explain the gravy a bit more? should i make the water/flour and then pour that into the left over juice in the pressure cooker? or use some of the juice and add flour for gravy? thks for any help!

Little Magnolia Kitchen said...

Hey you could literally do either one. You just want to get that flour in there to produce a gravy. I always use hot water a little at a time to produce a paste. That way the flour is totally absorbed. Then I add hot water a little at a time to make about 1-1/2 cups of liquid. When you pour this into your juices from the roast, be sure to pour slowly and stir quickly so it will not clump. Cook until the gravy is the thickness you want...about 5-8 minutes. Hope that helps!

Kristine Abat said...

Judging by the photos, it seems that piece of meat is so tender and juicy! I can imagine it melting in my mouth. Thanks for sharing this blog recipe; I hope I can follow your instructions to make this mouth-watering goodness!

Katherine said...

This sounds soooo good. I can't wait to try it. I usually use the slow cooker for roasts, but now I have to experiment. My Mother got me an electronic pressure cooker for my birthday last year and I definitely have been enjoying it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Robin said...

I love ready the stories that go with the recipes as much as I enjoy making and eating the food. I had a good chuckle at you singing in an opera voice, I do the same thing when I'm cooking. hahaha, this version of pot roast sounds delicious! I am still amazed every time I cook a roast, or anything for that matter, in my pressure cooker. I just recently got my pressure cooker and I love it.

Tiah Estabrook said...

I just got an electric pressure cooker from my son for Christmas and I'm already loving it!!! I just used your recipe and cooked a almost 4 pound roast in 30 minutes and that left the middle just a little pink (which was fine with me cuz I like my steaks rare too), but the rest was fully cooked how my children like! I've never had a moister, more flavorful roast ever!!! Even my pickiest of kids raved about it!!!

Rick in Texas said...

Thank you for posting this recipe.