Saturday, October 13, 2012

SLOPPY JOES


I think the last time I made Sloppy Joes, my kids were in elementary school and I used Manwich! Those were so wonderful that I have not made them again!


I decided to attempt them again but, this time I decided to find a recipe....no Manwich!  I googled a few and then I saw a recipe by Pioneer Woman.  I absolutely love her recipes.  I have one of her cookbooks and she cooks the way I like to cook and the things I like to cook.  So, that helped me make up my mind which recipe to try.  Now, I did change up a few things.  First of all, I used a combination of half ground turkey breast and half ground sirloin.  Holly requested that I not make them too sweet so I didn't put all of the brown sugar that it called for.  I also left out the chili pepper flakes because it hax too much kick for some sensitive stomachs and that is an ingredient you can add post-cooking anyway...so no biggie!

I served the Sloppy Joes with Roasted Potatoes and Homemade Apple Pie.  Truly a down home american meal!  I, once again, did not take the picture immediately and had to do it later.  I am usually cooking right up to the point that I have told everyone that supper will be ready so I have some hungry eyes staring at me and no time to stop and take a picture.

I was not expecting big things from these Sloppy Joes.  BUT....these were sooooo gooooood that I have literally eaten them 3 days in a row!  I had one Thursday for supper, 1/2 a Joe on Friday for lunch and another 1/2 on Saturday for lunch!  These will definitely be a regular at our house from now on.

I started out taking pictures and then got sidetracked and just forgot I was supposed to be taking pictures for this blog...so this recipe will be without a lot of pictures!   I apologize for my brain...these days it is on overload and is apparently checking out!

SLOPPY JOES

1-1/4 pounds Ground Sirloin
1-1/4 pounds Ground Turkey Breast
Garlic Powder and Garlic Salt
1 - 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 large Onion, diced
1 large Green Bell Pepper, diced
5 cloves Garlic, minced (I, of course, use 8 or 9 ha!)
1-1/4 cup Ketchup
1 cup Water
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar (I only used 1 tablespoon)
2 teaspoons Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
Salt to taste
Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
Tabasco Sauce (optional; to taste)
Hamburger Buns

1. In a large non-stick skillet, combine the sirloin and turkey breast and cook over medium-high to high heat.


2. Cover the meat generously with garlic powder and sprinkle garlic salt lightly over the meat














3.  Sprinkle the worcestershire sauce over the meat and stir well
4.  Continue cooking and add the onion, bell pepper and garlic until the meat is cooked
5.   If there is any cooking grease in the pan, drain and discard
6.  Add the ketchup, water, and brown sugar to the meat, stirring to incorporate
7.  Sprinkle dry mustard, chili powder and chili flakes (if desired) over the meat and stir well
8.  Add salt and pepper to taste
9.  Serve on warm hamburger buns...these can be toasted if you like
10. You can serve with onion, pickles, jalapenos and/or cheese



ENJOY!


No comments: