Wednesday, August 7, 2013

BABY LIMA BEANS




Hint: Be sure and cover the limas with water before you cook them or the outside skin will shrivel like mine did...ugh!


Low in Cholesterol and High in Fiber! 

Those are two very good reasons to eat a big helping of Lima Beans!


Grandbaby Alex and PawPaw (husband)


I always cook for my family member's birthdays and let them choose the menu.  Yesterday, my husband turned **, haha!  He had two requests....make him something that was healthy and low in fat and....this is the one that makes me proud he is my husband....he asked me to bake a lemon pie for him to give to elderly couple that he visits.  They are in their 80's and the wife is paralyzed on one side from a stroke a few years back and the husband takes care of her.  He knows that they don't get  lot of homemade desserts and decided to bring them one.  Lemon Pie was their request so, I made two....one for them and one for my sweet husband using the Lemon Pie recipe on my blog. 

I decided to make the Lemon Chicken, with Lima Beans.  My sister-in-law, Judy, brought Confetti Salad, baked Spaghetti Squash (I will have to blog that soon), and a Razzleberry Pie (no recipe, it was boxed yumminess).  It was a good birthday supper!

This recipe calls for packages of frozen lima beans but I bought some lima beans at the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago and put them in the freezer.  I forgot that the limas had to be cooked before adding the other ingredients. Of course, I was running behind so I decided to cook them in the microwave, which was okay but I noticed that the outside of the beans were a little shriveled.   I did not cover the limas with water and I think I should have.  If I would have covered them with water and then cooked them, I think the skins would have been shiny and taut.  Live and learn or rather cook and learn.  They were still veryyyy good and healthy

Cooking, to me, is a labor of love....sometimes!  Justtttt kiddinggggg...I really do love cooking good food for my family.  I like when they walk in the kitchen and start lifting lids, sneaking bites, and the minute it is finished the plates start filling up.  That is the reason I don't usually get the best pictures...I don't have time before my family starts digging in!  I wouldn't want it any other way!

Hope you give the lima beans a try.  Each 1 cup serving only has 173 calories and 1.4 grams of fat and a great source of fiber!  Limas are definitely our friends!





BABY LIMA BEANS

2 - 10 ounce packages frozen Baby Lima Beans
Cooking Spray (I use Pam)
4 slices Canadian Bacon, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons shallot, chopped
2 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup Water
1 teaspoon Chicken Bouillon Granules
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
Few Shakes Hot Sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook beans according to package directions, drain and set aside

Cut the tomatoes in half, seed and chop.



Chop the shallot.





Slice the Canadian Bacon into strips.



.
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray.
 



Place over medium high heat until hot.
Add Canadian bacon and shallots; sauté until shallots are tender.



Add lima beans, tomato, and remaining ingredients.







Salt and Pepper to taste.

 
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, uncovered 2 minutes, stirring frequently.




ENJOY!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

My husband loves Lima beans. And red beans I am not a country girl, my mother is Dutch. They are not known for great cooks lol. I was kinda embarrassed that I did not know how to cook beans! This recipe and the red beans and rice one are so great. The pictures of each step are wonderful Your step by step instructions and your personal antidotes Are priceless! :) Well done Janna ! You truly have a gift!