Wednesday, August 28, 2013

SAUCY MEATLOAF



Okay, throw out everything you ever thought about meatloaf.  This recipe is one that will make a hater into a lover with the first bite!

I cannot remember where I got this recipe but it was so good that I wrote it in my personal cookbook that I take with me even in  hurricane evacuations!  A recipe has to be one that is tried and true and given a thumbs up by my family.  Have I convinced you yet?

This meatloaf is three different layers of flavor and is moist and juicy...yummm!!  I made it last night and served it with sweet potatoes, garlic green beans, and buttered corn.  I am giving you the recipe that I have always made but last night I changed it up just a bit to lower the sugar and to make it gluten free.  I used Organic Coconut Palm Sugar which is close to a brown sugar.  Whatever you would use brown sugar for, the coconut palm sugar would be a good replacement.  I actually just used half brown sugar and half of the coconut palm sugar.  The other thing I did was to replace the crackers with some Gluten Free Pretzels that I think taste just like crackers.  I gave those a whirl in the food processor and added them in the same increments as the crackers.  Let me just say, that the taste difference was negligible.




Whether you make it just like the recipe below or you change it slightly like I did, please give it a try.  Your family will thank you : )

SAUCY MEATLOAF

2 lbs. Ground Sirloin
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium Green Bell Pepper, diced
3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup Saltine Crackers, crushed (about 20)
2 large Eggs
1.4 cup Steak Sauce (I use A-1)
3 tablespoons Ketchup
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine the 11 ingredients above. Put meat on a 15X10 jelly roll pan OR a pan that allows room for the meatloaf to be formed and not touch sides.  Form the meat into a 14X8 loaf.  I never measure I just eye it. 




Brush the top of the meatloaf with the Mustard Sauce below. and then pour the tomato sauce mixture over the top.  Bake for 1 hour or until loaf is not longer pink in the center.





Let the meatloaf stand for 15 minutes, drain before serving. Meatloaf will be soft in texture.

Serves 6-8 adults.

MUSTARD SAUCE
1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup Prepared Mustard

TOMATO SAUCE
1 cup canned Petite Diced Tomatoes
1- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
 




No comments: