Thursday, August 29, 2013

DELICIOUS GLUTEN FREE PANCAKES

 
 
This morning, I decided I would start trying some of my favorite breakfast items in gluten-free form.  Pancakes are probably my favorite breakfast dish. I decided to use Pamela's first because 1) my friend Nita has raved about it for a while now and 2) Brown Rice Flour is the first ingredients and 3) I can buy it at a local grocery store without having to drive 20 miles. 
 
 
Food labels list the ingredients in order from the greatest quantity to the least.  Of course, any pancake mix always has flour as its first ingredient.  So, the fact that Brown Rice Flour is a healthy substitute left me hoping that it would be as good as the enriched flour pancakes I have eaten all my life.  It does have white rice flour and sweet rice flour and some starches.  I need to do more research into those items.
 
However, when I poured the dry ingredients into the bowl, I noticed some brown flecks in it.  I looked back at the list of ingredients and there is was, "Natural Almond Meal (may appear as brown flecks).  Now, that's exciting...healthy almonds!   To the mix, you add 3/4 water, 1 large egg and 1 tablespoon of oil (I used Canola).
 
 
It cooked just like a regular pancake.  It puffed up with the little bubbles and it was easy to flip over.  Great so far!
 
 
Now of course, I had to put butter and syrup on it!  I never said it was healthy....just healthier!  And...drumroll please......it tasted just as good as my regular pancakes.  I asked my husband what he thought...he said he couldn't taste a difference!
 
So, there you have it...Pamela's Baking Mix makes great pancakes and they are gluten-free....that was a shocker for me!
 
 

No comments: