Thursday, August 8, 2013

BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE



Eating healthy does not have to be boring or tasteless.   I have tried so many times to like this dressing when I go out to eat and it is just....tolerable in most restaurants.  Bottled balsamic dressing is not even worth it...I'd rather just eat plain lettuce. So, I decided to see if I could improve the taste just a bit. I did....and now it is one of my favorites! 

This dressing is seriously the quickest, easiest dressing ever.  The most important part is to purchase a good balsamic vinegar.  It makes a difference.  My favorite balsamic vinegar is one that I bought at a cooking expo.  It was an aged balsamic vinegar from Modena.  I have saved the label so I could order some online.  I saw the label just this week and then when I went to look for it, of course, I cannot find it.  But here is America's Test Kitchen's review of balsamics that they recommend.  Balsamic vinegar should be aged and thick like a syrup....although the one I used tonight was one I bought at HEB grocery store.  I just took a chance,  It was Central Market brand but when I took at little sip, it burned the back of my throat a little. 

However, I realized that have another bottle that I bought at the same expo and it was called Leonardo and Roberto's Gourmet Blend Traditional Balsamic Vinegar. It has a smooth, sweet taste.  It is so good that I could probably just put it on my salad without making a vinaigrette.   As balsamic vinegar ages, it gets richer and sweeter and loses its acidity.  So, this is one brand that I can testify to the taste.  Another thing, balsamic vinegars are a little costly for the good ones.  This bottle cost around $50 but it is worth it and it goes a long way!  If you do not want to purchase online, I am thinking that any gourmet kitchen store would probably have a good balsamic vinegar.  Beaumont is about 20 minutes from my home and they have a great kitchen store called Kitchen Concepts, I bet they would probably have several to choose from for those of you who live close.

Tonight, I cooked salmon and served it with baked sweet potatoes and a salad with this dressing.  I hope you will give it a try...healthy, easy, delicious....perfect combo!


BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE

1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Olive Oil
2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper (I always taste and add a little more!)

Put in a mason jar or cruet with a lid and shake well!

ENJOY!
 

No comments: