Wednesday, March 20, 2013

LEMON CHICKEN



Today it is officially SPRING!!! 
 
This is my favorite time of year.  I love seeing all the flowers and trees bloom out.  The air is cool (for a while...this is southeast Texas, so it is short-lived), and a little breezy.  The birds seem to be chirping a little happier.  It is truly God's Perfection! 
 
 This is also just about the time of year that I am ready for something other than soup, gumbo, and stews.  I am ready for something lighter and fresher.  I love the combination of lemon with chicken so I started looking for a good recipe.  I follow the blog Annie's Eats which is where I got this recipe.  I, as usual, did a little tweaking but I basically followed her recipe and it was superb, easy and is definitely one I will be using a lot. 

At the end of the cooking process, I decided to use the drippings to make a gravy.  It was out of this world delicious.  You could serve the sauce over the chicken, mashed potatoes or rice...just a little added bonus!

This recipe called for only skin-on thighs or drumsticks but there are a few in my family who prefer only white, breast meat so I threw a couple of those in there, as well.  I personally love the thighs.  They are particularly good in this recipe because they are moist and juicy...gosh, my mouth is watering! I think this would be good on the grill too!  The smokiness from the grill would just enhance the flavors of this dish!   I think I will make this again this weekend...maybe on the grill now that the weather is nice! 

HAPPY SPRING Y'ALL!!

LEMON CHICKEN

2 tablespoons Lemon Zest
1/3 cup Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed (substitute lemon juice does not have a place here)
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
1/3 cup Olive Oil, delicate taste
2 teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves,
1 teaspoon fresh Rosemary leaves, finely minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2-4 pounds of Chicken Thighs or Drumsticks, bone-in, skin-on
2-3 tablespoons Melted Butter
Thinly Sliced Lemons for Garnish

PREHEAT OVEN TO 425 DEGREES

Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, oil, salt and pepper in a large zipper-lock plastic bag.

If you do not have one of these little zesters, I highly suggest you buy one.  I use it not only for zesting but for grating parmesan cheese, as well.  Such a handy little gadget!

This little gadget makes juicing fresh lemons a snap

Mince the garlic...this garlic press makes things so much easier

Strip leaves from thyme sprig

Strip rosemary leaves by running your fingers the opposite way the rosemary is pointing.

Mince the Rosemary

Add the Rosemary to the other ingredients

Add 1/3 cup of oil




Shake to blend and add chicken.
 
 
Press out excess air, coat chicken, and place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least 2 hours.
 
 
 
Place chicken pieces in a large pan and reserve the marinade. 
 
 
Brush with butter and place, uncovered, in the 425 degree oven for 50-55 minutes.
 
After about 25 minutes, pour the rest of the marinade over the chicken and place back in the oven until skins are crispy and well-browned.
 
 
 
Once fully baked, cover loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes before serving.  Transfer to a serving platter. 
 
 
Garnish with lemon slices and serve!
SAUCE:



 Pour liquid from pan or dish into a saucepot.
 
 
If you feel like there is not enough liquid, you can add some Campbell's Chicken Broth.
 
 

In a measuring cup or something with a pour spout, place approximately 1/4 cup of cornstarch and enough warm water to make a liquid similar to heavy whipping cream.  Pour slowly into pot, stirring constantly until thickened.
 
Remove from heat.
 
Serve over chicken, mashed potatoes or rice.
 


ENJOY!




 
 




























No comments: