Sunday, January 18, 2015

SUPER EASY CROUTONS






So, my last post was about making garlic toast.  If you make too much....oh gosh, never mind....there is no such thing.  I have to restrain myself from eating every bit of toast there is, however, I decided to make some croutons. Yayyy!!

I used to make my own croutons all the time.  My favorite was Lemon Pepper Croutons to go with a potato brocolli soup.  When I looked at this toast left over, something reminded me of those croutons and I got so excited.  I mean, garlic croutons go with EVERYTHING!  They would be good on absolutely any soup or salad, or leave them whole and top them with all kinds of goodies.  Although, these did not go on anything nor were they topped with anything...they went straight into my mouth. They were soooooo good!

The name says it all....they are super easy!!  You literally place the garlic toast in the oven for 1-1/2 hours at 200 degrees.  Take them out and cut them into bite-size pieces.  That's it!  It cannot get any easier.  Now, if you are starting from scratch, then I would butter or oil your bread, season and then cut them up into either bite-size pieces or into strips or just leave them whole and use like a crostini.  They do crumble when you go to cut them up.  The crumbs are good too though.  Save the crumbs and use them to put on casseroles, in meatballs, or to dredge anything you want to fry in those crumbs.  





SUPER EASY CROUTONS

Leftover Garlic Toast


Preheat oven to 200 Degrees.

Place the toast on a cookie tray or on some aluminum foil.

Bake in the oven for 1-1/2 hours.


You're Done!



CROUTONS FROM SCRATCH

Loaf of French Bread or Crostini
Melted Salted Real Butter or Olive Oil
Seasoning of your choice....fresh garlic, lemon pepper, rosemary, thyme, etc.

Slice your bread about one inch thick.

Brush your butter or olive oil on the bread. 

 If you are using fresh herbs, I would add that to the butter or olive oil.  If you are using dried herbs or ground seasoning like Lemon Pepper, then I would brush the butter or olive oil on the bread and then sprinkle the seasonings on the bread.

Now it is your choice to either leave the bread in 1-inch slices, or slice into strips, or into bite-size pieces.

Place in 200 Degree oven for 1-1/2 hours.

You're Done!

ENJOY!







No comments: