Thursday, January 8, 2015

MAW MAW'S DELICIOUS MULLED CIDER


My sister-in-law Judy is know affectionately by her grandbabies as MawMaw and she is a wonderful one.  She is that kind of grandma that everyone wants.  She makes her grandbabies feel like they are the most important thing on the face of the earth when they are with her because they are to her.  This mulled cider is her recipe.  She kind of fooled around with it through the holiday seasons of Thanksgiving and CHRISTmas and she thankfully shared it with me and I am sharing it with you!

Now, as with any good cook, she tastes as she goes along.  So, with being said, I can only give you an approximate recipe.  You can start with this recipe and then add or take away what you would like.  I try to get away with using as little sugar as possible.  When she first gave me this recipe, I put a full two teaspoons of cinnamon in it and it was just too much for me.  This time I added 1-1/2 teaspoons and I think next time I will just use cinnamon sticks and simmer it until the flavor is how I want it.

I also did not add white sugar.  I only added brown sugar but you could do both, if you like.  Because I am sick right now, I only used pomegrante juice instead of both pomegranate and cranberry juice.  It really is just dependent on what you like.  Judy said her daughter, Emily, wanted less sugar and more spice.  So, its a fun recipe to play around with.  The only way you can mess it up is if you leave the whole cloves in it for hours.  I take my cloves and cinnamon sticks (if you have decided not to use ground cinnamon) out after it has simmered and is ready to drink because it starts to leave a bitter undertone in the cider.

The other really good thing about this recipe is that your house will smell so wonderful!

My sister-in-law created this recipe for her family and she put lots of love into everything she creates, cooks and bakes!  Don't forget to share it with those you love!  XOXO



MAW MAW'S DELICIOUS MULLED CIDER

6 cups Apple Cider, (I used Honey Crisp Apple Cider)
1/2 cup Pomegranate Juice
1/2 cup Cranberry Juice
1/2 cup Orange Juice
Juice of one fresh Lemon
1 tablespoon Whole Cloves
1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons of Cinnamon or 3 Whole Sticks of Cinnamon
1/4 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Water

In a large saucepan, pour in the apple cider.

Next, pour in your pomegranate juice and cranberry juice.  At this point, use one cup total....which means you could use all of one juice or the combination.

Squeeze lemon and add to mixture.

Add the cloves and the cinnamon.

Cook this until boiling and then turn down heat and simmer.  Taste to see if it needs more cinnamon or cloves at this point.  It takes heat to release the flavor of the spices and, if you are using powdered cinnamon, it will allow it to to blend in with the juices.

Add your sugars.  I only use brown sugar but the recipe was created with both and it is truly just your preference.  You may want more sugar.  Add all you want : )

Add 1 cup of water.

Bring to almost a boil and then simmer on your lowest heat for about 15 minutes until the spices flavor the cider.

Remove the whole cloves and cinnamon sticks, if you used one.

ENJOY!


No comments: