Sunday, December 28, 2014

HOT HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICHES






If I had a dollar for every time I made these sandwiches, I would be a happy girl!  Just looking at them right now makes my mouth water!  Oh my goodness, they're A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

My friend Matresa gave me this recipe years ago.  I have made them for so many occasions...bridal showers, baby showers, birthday parties, holiday get togethers, and sometimes for my family on days that I know will be busy.  These are good by themselves with some chips or you can serve them with soup.  I have not found a person that does not like them.  The best thing is you can make them the day before and then bake them up the next day.

I have made them on all different kinds of rolls.  The original recipe called for Pepperidge Farm finger rolls.  When PF stopped making them, I used SaraLee dinner rolls.  These particular sandwiches in the picture were made using King's Hawaiian Dinner Rolls.  I have also used turkey in place of the ham and a ham/turkey combination.  You could even experiment using your favorite cheese.  I think Havarti or Provolone might be good.

But what really makes these taste so good is the sauce that you pour on top.  I doesn't look great when you are cooking it but it takes these rolls to whole nutha level!   Oh and the smell in your kitchen is absolutely divine!

Trust me, you can't go wrong if you bring these for your New Year's celebration!  You will get a ton of compliments and I just bet it will become one of your favorite go-to recipes!


HOT HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICHES

1 pound Sliced Ham (I use Black Forest)
1 pound Sliced Swiss Cheese
2 packages King's Hawaiian Dinner Rolls (or other pre-made dinner rolls)
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1-1/2 sticks Butter
1-1/2 tablespoons Dry Minced Onions
1-1/2 tablespoons mustard


Cut rolls in half making a top and a bottom.  Place bottom half in a buttered, glass baking dish.

Layer ham, then cheese on top of rolls.

Put top half of rolls on top of the ham and cheese.

Melt butter and add remaining ingredients.  The mustard doesn't really combine well and that's fine.



Cut along perforated edges making single sandwiches.

Pour butter mixture over the sandwiches.

Place toothpicks in several of the sandwiches, cover with glad wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.


Remove the glad wrap and toothpicks and place in a cold oven.

Turn oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.  I always try to take these out of the fridge about an hour or more before I put them in the oven.  A cold dish put into a hot oven can cause it to break. Watch closely to make sure the onions on top and the bottoms do not burn.  


ENJOY!











No comments: