Monday, January 19, 2015

MAMA'S SPAGHETTI SAUCE



This spaghetti sauce is just perfect.  It is a perfect sauce to serve over your favorite pasta but it is also good to use with cabbage rolls, meatball subs, meatloaf, or anything else that might call for a tomato based sauce.  I got this recipe from a friend, who got it from a friend. who got it from a friend.  I don't know how far this goes back but all I know is I am glad I was on that friend list.

I have posted this tip on another post but I thought it could stand repeating.  When you do serve this sauce over pasta, be sure to add a substantial amount of olive oil to your pasta water to keep it from sticking (oh and don't forget to add salt).  My other tip to keep pasta from sticking is do not rinse but just add a little bit of sauce to the pasta....just enough to coat and even if you refrigerate them, they will not stick.

I am in a hurry today so not a lot of time to write so I am going to just leave it here.  Also, I have several meatball recipes that I like to use.  I have posted one and if you click on this link, it will take you there.  It is a post from when I made homemade spaghetti sauce from fresh tomatoes but if you will scroll all the way down the page, you will find the meatball recipe!  I will post another one when I get a chance....hopefully I can tonight!

Oh, and the first recipe here is for one recipe.  The recipe that follows is for about five times that amount.  I always make the second so I have some left over!

MAMA'S SPAGHETTI SAUCE

1/2 cup Olive Oil
1 small Yellow Onion, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1-12 ounce can Tomato Paste
3-1/2 cans Water
1-1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 cup Brown Sugar




NOTE; I usually take the above recipe and increase it so I can have it more than one time and some to freeze.  It is also great for large groups.  Here are the amounts if you would like to make more!

1/3/4 cups Olive Oil
4 regular size Yellow Onion, chopped
1/4 cup Garlic, minced
5-12 ounce cans tomato paste
3-4 quarts of water (I add 2 quarts and then add 1 quart at a time until I get it the consistency I want)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar

Saute onion and garlic in oil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add tomato paste and water.  Stir well.
Increase heat and add remaining ingredients.
When boiling, reduce to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Note:  A regular recipe makes 4-1/2 cups sauce.

 \

ENJOY!


No comments: