Tuesday, December 4, 2012

KICKED UP BROCCOLI-RICE CASSEROLE



 My friend Kelly made this recipe a couple of years ago.  I'm pretty sure she brought it to our annual Bunco CHRISTmas party.  The recipe is from Southern Lady Holidays 2009 and it is sooo good!  I just don't think you can mess up a recipe with those crunchy, yummy french fried onions on top   I made it this year for Thanksgiving and I changed it up a bit.  Then I made it again tonight and changed it up a little bit more.  

First of all,  this was only a Broccoli Casserole and I decided to add rice to it.  Therefore it is now a "Broccoli Rice Casserole".   Tonight, I decided to add cheddar cheese to the monterrey jack cheese....which I thought was really good too.  

Last but not least, my daughter, Holly, is pregnant and she craves spicy anything.  She literally carries a bottle of hot sauce with her just about everywhere she goes...haha!  So, I decided tonight to add some jalapenos to this recipe too.  Not enough peppers to be too terribly hot, but just enough to feel a little heat.  So, now it is a Kicked Up Broccoli Rice Casserole!

All of these changes added several layers of flavor and I think that this is the way I will make it from now on! 


KICKED UP BROCCOLI-RICE CASSEROLE
Serves 8-10 people

2 quarts of water
1-lb. broccoli florets
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 (8-ounce)package sliced baby portabella mushrooms
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup cooked rice
3 tablespoons jalapenos, chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups milk
8 ounces Cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese blend
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-(6 ounce) can French fried onions


PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 degrees.

Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside

In a 4 quart saucepan, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil.  Add broccoli; cook for 3 minutes, drain, and set aside.

In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook for 6 to 8 minutes; stirring frequently, until tender.

Add the sliced mushrooms and....

Saute for about 3-4 minutes.



Add 3 tablespoons of chopped jalapeno pepper


Add the rice and saute for about 1 minutes.


Next add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.

Gradually add milk; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.



Add cheese, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese is melted; remove from heat. 



Rough chop broccoli and stir into mixture

Spoon broccoli mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.

Top with French fried onions; bake for 5 minutes....

until lightly browned.

ENJOY!




1 comment:

Chef Shannonigans said...

This looks absolutely delicious. I love brocoli and rice casseroles and this gives it a nice change. I will be trying this very soon! I actually have a cooking blog as well and will let you know when I post it! I would love if you come check my blog out as well! Can't wait to try it!

http://shansthecollegecookbook.blogspot.com/