Monday, June 23, 2014

MANGO SALSA

1 - Large Mango, diced
1 tbsp. fresh Jalapeno, finely chopped
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup Red Onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup Cilantro, finely chopped
2 tbsp. fresh Lime Juice
Salt and Pepper

Mix all ingredients in a small, glass bowl.  Chill and serve.


Okay, literally I am not joking, this recipe you will want to eat straight out of the bowl.  It is just that freaking good!  I put in on top of grilled fish or chicken and if there is any leftover (and that's a big "if"), I eat it as a side with scrambled eggs and bacon.  Yumm!!  But, I have to say, I heap loads of this salsa on top of my fish or chicken so the chances of any being left over are pretty slim.  

Now, when you select a mango, choose one that is slightly soft, that gives when a little pressure is applied.  I didn't know if I could explain adequately how to cut a mango, so I added this link that tells in detail and with photos. I am a visual learner, so I thought this would be a great tutorial.  Ihttp://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango/


One tip I have learned over the years is....if you are going to cut a pepper, like a jalapeno, you need to keep the juices from touching your fingers.  When the juices get on your fingers it takes a longggggg time for the burn to go away.  I have used gloves and when I didn't have gloves, I just used the bag from the grocery store that the peppers were put in.  It's not great but I tell you it is so much better than suffering for the next hour. Another thing you can do is rub oil on your fingers...only the ones that touch the pepper not the ones that hold the knife.  Usually, what I will do is put a little bit of oil on a plate and then dip my fingers in and rub them together.  The oil acts as a barrier and soap and water will wash it all off your fingers.

This recipe is so fresh and so colorful but mostly it has a phenomenal blend of flavors.  I hope you will try it soon.  I think it will become a regular in your kitchen line-up.

Grilled fish with Mango Salsa, Herbed Quinoa and steamed brocolli

No comments: