Wednesday, June 25, 2014


HERBED QUINOA
 
I am really disappointed that I do not have a more appetizing photo to go with this post because One...this is hands-down my new favorite side dish, Two...it is healthy and it tastes amazing....and Three...it looks so much better than this in real life (said in a whiny voice).  I have got to work harder on my food photography skills!
It is for times like these that I wish you could reach through the computer and take a big bite.  The quinoa is cooked but the rest of the ingredients, like the lemon juice and basil, are added fresh.  I seriously love this warm but I equally love it cold, as well. 
 
If you are like me, I did not grow up eating quinoa...I had never heard of it until recently.  In fact, I had to look up what quinoa was...grain...seed...pasta?  I had no idea! First of all, quinoa is pronounced KEEN-WAH.  It is a grain and it is gluten-free.  It is also a good source of protein, iron and fiber.  It is super-easy and fast to cook.  Doesn't it sound like the perfect, healthy food?  These things drew me in and made me want to try it and hope that I would like it.  I so need more healthy items in my diet.
 
Well...success!  I am absolutely in love with this dish (have I said that before?) but, I am not sure that I would love all quinoa dishes.  Quinoa has a distinct flavor, which I feel like this recipe kind of masks.  But I am giving it the benefit of the doubt...so far, so good!  Oh, and I need to give credit to Giada's new cookbook from which I got this recipe from...."Giada's Feel Good Food"!  It is more than just a cookbook, although it IS filled with great recipes, it also has a ton of beneficial health and nutrition tips.

Okay, enough jibber-jabber...here is the recipe!  Hope you try it and like it...let me know : )


HERBED QUINOA

2 cups Chicken Broth (I use Campbell's)
1-1/2 cups Quinoa
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 teaspoons grated Lemon Zest
1/4 cup fresh Lemon Juice
3/4 cup chopped fresh Basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf Parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper


In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth and quinoa to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce the heat so that the broth simmers, cover the pan, and cook until all the liquid is absorbed 12 to 15 minutes (it may take longer...just eye it).  Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl.

In the meantime, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, basil, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl.

Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss until all of the ingredients are coated.

NOTE: Giada's recipe calls for 2 (4 ounce) cans of boneless, skinless salmon, drained and flaked tossed with the quinoa and dressing.

ENJOY!

PRINTABLE RECIPE HERE

 
 

 
 

No comments: