Wednesday, July 10, 2013

BLUEBERRY ZUCCHINI BREAD

Not the greatest picture but thought I would share anyway!

I have been wanting to try a blueberry bread with all the fresh blueberries of the season.  I decided to look online for a lemon blueberry bread but.....this recipe caught my eye.

I found the recipe on allrecipes.com.  I love the site because there are so many people who comment in the review section.  This recipe got 5 stars, which is the highest rating and the reviews raved about how good it was....good enough for me.

A few friends and I decided to start a book club.  We are reading what is turning out to be a really awesome book.  It is called "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  If you want a book that will inspire you, then pick this one up.  The writer has a beautiful writing style.  The first chapter is a little heavy but it sets the foundation for the writer's journey.


Okay, I have diverted. My point was that I was hosting the book club this morning and I wanted to have a little something to serve.  I figured that the bread would be perfect anddddd I had all the ingredients.  Awesome, since I didn't decide to make it until last night!  Whyyyy do I do that to myself? 

When I started mixing it up, I really had my doubts. The mixture was thicker than I expected so I was a little worried that it would be dry but it turned out to be so moist!  I used a mandolin to shred the zucchini so it took me about 5 minutes...super easy!  I did not want 4 small loaves, as the recipe called for so I looked through the reviews and someone said they had made 2 larger loaves and increased the time.  I went with that recommendation and they came out perfect!

It does call for 2-1/4 cups of sugar which I think is a lot.  Next time I make this recipe, I will cut the sugar by 1/4 cup and then each time after that, I will cut the sugar by 1/4 cup until I get it to the point of least sugar needed for my taste.  It also calls for 1 cup of oil but there was a review that used part applesauce for the oil but since I didn't have applesauce, I will have to try that one next time.

Okay, enough of my going on and on.  Here is the recipe...hope you try it soon.

P.S.  I didn't take pictures since I was in a hurry this morning but I will take some soon and add them to this post!



BLUEBERRY ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup Vegetable Oil, (I used Canola)
3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2-1/4 cups Sugar
2 cups shredded Zucchini
3 cups all purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
1 pint fresh Blueberries

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Lightly grease 4 mini loaf pans or 2 large loaf pans (I use Bakers Joy)

3.  In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar.

4.  Fold in the zucchini.

5.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.

6.  Add 1/2 of  the dry mixture to the wet until just blended then add remaining dry ingredients and beat until well blended.

7.  Gently fold in the blueberries.

8.  Pour equal amounts into loaf pans.

9.  Bake 50 minutes for the 4 mini-loaf pans or 1 hour and 15 minutes for 2 large loaf pans or until a knife inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean. 

10. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.  (Note: I turned the loaves out onto the cooling racks immediately after coming out of the oven)

11.  Slice and serve with butter, if desired.


ENJOY!
 




No comments: