Saturday, June 22, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes




 
If I could pick my very favorite breakfast food it would have to be pancakes. When we are on vacation, they are my go-to breakfast.  I usually make them from Pioneer Buttermilk Mix about once a month (maybe just a tad more than that...wink)  As much as I love Pioneer pancakes, my very favorite were my MaMaw Allie's pancakes!  When I was a little girl, she would make them for me from scratch and I so wish I had her recipe. 

I was really wanting pancakes this morning but I was out of Pioneer Mix...ugh.  I should have eaten my greek yogurt with healthy blueberries. However, the tempting little voice in my head that said "you could make them from scratch" won out.  Where was that voice of reason?  It said "just put the blueberries in the batter".  My "healthier version" of pancakes, yeah right! 

I have to say though, they were so  yummy and the blueberries took them over the top!  Maybe these should have been for a special occasion....say Father's Day, which we had oatmeal.  We will just say this was Father's Day Breakfast 6 days late!

Leave off the blueberries and you have a basic pancake recipe and you definitely could add your choice of ingredients....chocolate chips, pecans, bananas...etc.  I wonder if cooked ground breakfast sausage would taste good...I bet it would be awesome!  May have to try that and get back to y'all!

You've got to try them...they are ridiculously perfect!


BLUEBERRY PANCAKES
 (makes about 8-12 medium to small pancakes)

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted (I used salted)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of blueberries
*Without the addition of the blueberries, it is a basic pancake recipe.

Whisk the first four ingredients together in a large bowl.
Flour

Sugar

Baking Powder

 
Salt
 

Add the milk and the butter to the dry mixture and whisk to blend well.



Add the eggs and vanilla and blend until combined.  Do not overblend.



Fold in blueberries.


1. Heat and lightly butter a skillet.  I use a non-stick skillet for pancakes.


 2. Ladle batter into skillet and stop when the size is a little smaller than you want it to be because it will spread a little. 


3. Wait until the top has bubbles on top and some have began to pop before you flip them over.  If you flip them and they do not end up where you want them, wait a few seconds until the bottom has cooked a little and then you can adjust them. 

 
4. They will start to rise and will only take about half the time on the second side as the first.  You can lift the edge a little to see if it is lightly browned.

 
5. Remove from skillet, top with butter and syrup.
Go!

Going!
 
GONE! (Could not eat another bite!)



No comments: