Monday, August 15, 2016

PIE CRUST

Today was life changing!  I made a homemade pie crust for my first time ever. LoL!

I don't know why I waited because it was literally the easiest thing I did all day.  It was so flaky and so light that I am still a little giddy! I used Pioneer Woman's recipe and it took me less than 10 minutes to make it and then another 15 minutes to let it cool in the freezer.  So, 25 minutes later I have a pie dough that, when baked, beat any bought pie crust I have ever had.  There is seriously no comparison!

Thank you Pioneer Woman...I am high "five-ing" you from my Little Magnolia Kitchen!

HOMEMADE PIE CRUST

3 Cups All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cups Shortening
1-1/2 Sticks (12 tablespoons) Salted Butter (Cold)
1 Egg, Beaten
5 Tablespoons Cold Water
1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Salt

Put the flour in a large bowl.
With a pastry cutter, gradually work the shortening and butter into the flour until it resembles coarse meal, 3 to 4 minutes.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork and pour it into the flour mixture.
Add the cold water, white vinegar, and salt.  Stir gently to combine.
Form the dough into 2 evenly sized balls and place each ball into a gallon food storage bag.
Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (to about 1/2 inch thick) to make rolling easier later.
Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. (If you will be using them immediately, it is still a good idea to put them in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to chill)  Note: I did this and then I had to wait for 15 minutes before I could work with the dough.  I am thinking that I might try 5 minutes next time.
When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes.

ENJOY!




No comments: