Wednesday, July 9, 2014



 
 
 ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
 
 
First, let me say, I could eat this dish, by itself, as an entire meal.  That is how much I LOVE it!
 
If you are bored with the same old side dishes and are in the mood to try something new....this should be the one you give a whirl!
 
The first time I ever ate this was at Whole Foods Market in Austin, Texas.  Me and some of my friends had gone there to shop after a birthday weekend at my friend Valerie's house in Kyle.  We thought we would only be in Whole Foods for about an hour....3 hours later we were hungry and their café dishes looked so scrumptious.  If you have never been to a Whole Foods Market, it is worth seeking out.  It is a literal one-stop, natural and organic supermarket and so much more.  Google them....really awesome store.
 
Anyway, we all decided to all order different things so we could get a taste of several of their dishes.  I got the roasted butternut squash and caramelized onions. Oh my gosh...absolutely amazing! I came home and was on a mission to figure out how to make it.  It was either that or make a trip to Austin once a week...either one was  good option!
 
The squash and the caramelized onions complemented each other so perfectly.  There is just something about caramelized onions that make everything taste scrump-dilly-ump. If you do not like raw onions, do not let that stop you from trying this dish.  Caramelized onions taste completely different.  They have a deep, rich, sweet flavor and I used butter to caramelize mine, so they are doubly yummy.  They take about 20 minutes to make but you can do that while the squash is roasting.  Last night, I served it with grilled fish and my lemon brocollini dish on this blog.  It was on the table from start to finish in about 45 minutes...maybe a little less.

Butternut squash can be difficult to cut up.  I've done it but when I found it already diced, in a container, in the produce section of my local grocery store, HEB, I grabbed it.  It was the perfect amount for serving 4 people (about 3 cups).  I am all about making things easier when it doesn't affect the outcome.
 
I would love to hear from you when you try this dish...or any of the dishes here on the blog.  Y'all inspire me and keep me cooking and looking for new recipes.  {{Hugs}} to you all!




ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS
 
Roasted Squash
3-4 cups of Butternut Squash, diced
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
 
Caramelized Onions
2  large Yellow Onions, sliced into rings
2 tablespoons Butter
2 teaspoons Sugar
Salt and Pepper
 
In a medium sized bowl, combine diced butternut squash, olive oil, salt and pepper. 
Toss to coat well and place on a parchment lined, cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
 
 
 
 
In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, melt the butter . 
 

 
 
Add the onion and sugar. 
 
 
 

 
Stir and cook for approximately 20 minutes, stirring frequently (especially at the end) to keep from sticking and burning. 
 
 
 
 Add salt and pepper to your liking.  Onions will be done when they reach a rich, brown color.
 
 
 
Put the butternut squash into a medium sized, heat resistant bowl. 
 
 
 
Add the caramelized onions. 
 
 
 
 
Toss gently and serve immediately.
 
 
 
ENJOY!
 
 


No comments: