Wednesday, January 14, 2015

THE BEST HOMEMADE GARLIC TOAST WITH SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS



This post is about one of my favoriteeeee things....garlic toast.  Not the kind of toast that comes frozen in a bag.  Although, I do like that kind of toast.  Nothing can top good ole homemade garlic toast!!

The only problem is that I almost always burn it.  So, don't walk away while it is in the oven.  It cooks so fast and I get distracted and the next thing you know, burnt toast.  However, I will still eat it.  I like it even if it is burned...now that is true love! Ha!  The key is to put someone else in charge of watching it in the oven.  Found that out after about the 300th time I torched it!  I like to toast it on both sides because I like that crunchiness on the outside edges but that soft, buttery center.  Oh my gosh....delicious!  Be sure you use real butter and fresh garlic...no margarine and no garlic powder...believe me you will thank me for this tip!

Because I have been sick, I still cannot smell or taste so I decided to take some Mama Colicihia's Spaghetti Sauce that I made a few months ago out of the freezer and make some meatballs (this link is to a spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes but, if you will scroll to the bottom, it will have the recipe for meatballs). It does take some time to make the sauce, but it makes a lot so I freeze it for not only spaghetti but for things like cabbage rolls, as well.




I know this is a post about garlic toast, but I do want to give a little tip I learned a while back about how to keep your noodles from sticking together.  First, add olive oil to water that the noodles are cooked in.  Next, drain noodles but do not rinse them.  Next, put noodles in a bowl or back in the pot they were cooked in and then add enough spaghetti sauce to lightly coat them.  It's great...they do not stick!


Okay, let's get busy making that garlic toast!  Oh and I almost forgot to tell you how wonderful your house will smell.  It's a bonus!


See that toasty edge...ahhh...and that buttery center!  Divine!!


THE BEST HOMEMADE GARLIC TOAST

1 Loaf  French Bread, sliced into 1 inch wide slices (approximately 8)
6 tablespoons Salted  Butter, softened
2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced



Slice bread into 1 inch wide slices.  Approximately 8 total.



Combine softened butter and garlic in a small bowl until creamy.



Spread butter on both sides of bread  and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.




Toast bread on one side under broiler until golden brown.



Flip bread over and toast on other side.



Remove from the oven and serve while hot!  Make sure that you make plenty...you won't be able to stop at one : )



ENJOY!


No comments: