Monday, August 5, 2013

PEACH COBBLER


Okay, I know this is not the best picture.  Please do not let this picture stop you from baking this cobbler, it is seriously one of the best I have made.  I received a lot of compliments today over it. 

What made me decide to make a cobbler today?  My sweet mom has alzheimers and she lives about 5 miles from me in a wonderful, private home with 7 others women about her age.  She looooovvvveeessss peach cobbler so yesterday she asked me to make her one....and serve it with ice cream! I really hate that I had to make this in a disposable pan but I didn't want there to be any clean up for the ladies that work at the house.

I have made this recipe so many times over the years.  I changed something this time though.  I was looking through Trisha Yearwood's cookbook, Georgia Cooking In An Oklahoma Kitchen, and her recipe was similar but she added a stick of butter to the pan beforehand (my mother in law always added it to the top) and she used self rising flour.  I decided to try the stick of butter (next time I will use less) but "stick" to all purpose flour...how'd you like that little play on words...hehe!  Other than that one little change, it is my mother-in-law's recipe that she gave me probably 25 years ago.  Thank goodness she actually knew the measurements because her cornbread recipe is literally "take one big handful of flour and 2 big handful's of cornmeal, etc.!" Ha!  Not an exact type of recipe! 

When my sister-in-law, Judy, and I brought the cobbler over to my mom's, the ladies were eating supper....perfect.  They were ready for dessert!  They ooh-ed and ahh-ed over this cobbler.  One of the ladies who works there said she didn't like cobbler but she got some on her finger when dipping up a bowl for the ladies and it was so good that she dipped herself a bowl too.  I doubled this recipe and I am so glad I did because today the ladies daughters had just about all come for a visit so it served 14 or 15 people with some still left over.

My mom cannot remember a lot of things but she still remembers her favorite dessert!  So many times, I have forgotten to thank God for the little things but today I am very grateful that she still got so much joy over something so small!


 
PEACH COBBLER

2 15-ounce can of sliced Peaches
1 stick of Butter
1 cup of all purpose Flour
1 cup of sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup Milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain both cans of peaches but reserve the juice from one can for the recipe. (Leftover juice is good poured into a big glass of tea!)


Place 1 stick of butter in a 9X13 dish and place in an oven to melt.



In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder.  Stir until combined.
 

 
Pour in the milk and the reserved juice into the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended.
 



Pour mixture over the melted butter.
 


Place the peaches evenly on top.
 
 
Batter will rise over the peaches.
 


Put into oven for 1 hour.
 
Sprinkle sugar over the top and serve with yummy vanilla ice cream!
 

 
ENJOY!
 






No comments: