Wednesday, October 17, 2012

QUICK FIX SPAGHETTI SAUCE


 I had high hopes of cooking something really special for debate night.  Well, the day got away from me and before I knew it, it was 4:00, I was still in Beaumont at my Moms and had not even been to the grocery store.  What to do, what to do?????

I decided to cheat!  Ha!  

My very favorite spaghetti sauce is Rao's Homemade (pictured above.  I buy it at HEB and it is literally so much like homemade.  I have a great homemade spaghetti sauce recipe but it takes several hours from beginning to end.  So, last night I decided that I needed another plan.  I love combining barbeque sauces so I decided to do the same thing with my spaghetti sauces and do a little tweaking!


This was what I came up with.


First, I made my meatballs using my recipe.  When you click the "recipe" link or the meatball picture, scroll down until you get to the meatball recipe.

Second, I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in my large dutch oven and added a carton of pre-diced white onions with green bell peppers along with another small container of just diced onions. I think it was either 7 or 8 ounces.  I sauteed them along with about 8-10 cloves of minced garlic until tender.


I poured in all three of the above spaghetti sauces and stirred well.  I then added 2-3 tablespoons of garlic powder.  

Thirdly, add the meatballs to the spaghetti sauce and continue to simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Serve over angel hair pasta that has been cooked al dente.  Serve with freshly, grated parmesan cheese.

Okay, forget the limes!  I am including this picture from a previous post because it is what I use to grate my parmesan cheese.  It is so quick and easy!  It will take the chore out of grating cheese!

In my opinion, unless you just want the satisfaction of knowing you have made the spaghetti sauce from scratch, then this recipe is as close as it gets to homemade. 

And, if you need to shave more time off...then make a meat sauce instead of meatballs.  Just combine all of the meat and fresh onion, bell pepper, garlic, garlic salt and garlic powder.  Pan fry the meat until crumbly and thoroughly cooked.  Pour off grease and pour in the spaghetti sauces. 

Try it and let me know how you like it!


No comments: